Talk Tackle  

Go Back   Talk Tackle > Talk Tackle > Toad Tales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
CaptainTrout

Cool First Bait Caster

Hello Fellow Anglers,

I have been fishing trout and catfish at local lakes since i was a little chipper and it's been great. I just recently got my first bait caster and have caught about dozen large mouth in the last 2 months. Nothing over 2 lbs I'm pretty sure but I sure am having a kick ass time. My bait caster is still very new to me but I am having fun learning the ways of bass fishing! Any hints or tips for a beginning bass angler, let me know!

Thanks Guys

Captain Trout
CaptainTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
marledge

Try some topwater early in the morning or more toward nighttime. You will have a blast. You can throw these quite easily on a baitcaster, just make sure you use monofilament line. Try a spook or a popper or even a frog. Wacky rigging big senkos on a baitcasting rig can be great too. Try this around weed edges. You can also work the wacky rig with smaller senkos on a spinning outfit.
marledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
CaptainTrout

Default Sweet

Thanks Marledge! heading out to the pond tonight and I got some flukes and bobby's perfect frog to try. It will be my first time popin a frog so I am pretty stoked I cant imagine what it will be like to catch a bass top water!

Thanks again and good luck out there!

CaptainTrout
CaptainTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
marledge

if you are going to use a frog a lot, consider getting some braid for your baitcaster eventually. braid can be tricky to learn however, so if you are just starting, i still say stick to some heavier pound test mono. definitely read the section on frogs on tackle warehouse's front page. if you don't see it, check this link:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/guides/frogs.html
marledge is offline   Reply With Quote