Break out the lipless cranks

Discussion in 'Tips & Techniques' started by tackle maniac, Feb 2, 2016.

1. tackle maniac

tackle maniac Member

I ran across a school of 1-3lb. pre-spawn bass today, and they were feasting on my 1/4 ounce Xcalibur One-Knocker (which is now called the Booyah One-Knocker). I caught somewhere close to 50 bass (I lost count after about 20) during a 2-hour period (3:45pm-5:45pm). Before anyone calls BS, let me say that this NEVER happens to me. I have had a few days where I've caught 15-20 but never anywhere close to 50. Anyway, my point is that it is time to break out the lipless cranks. 95% of the bass I caught today hit that little Xcailbur One-Knocker. So when the water temp in your area starts to creep into the upper 50s, you may want to put down the jerkbait and tie on a lipless crank.

2. captwalleye

captwalleye Member

Good call! Have to keep that in mind when the warmer weather/water returns.That also give me an idea for a upcoming foray in May.Trying something different can really pay off,it's just difficult to put down a technique that's working well.For something that could possibly be better and more attractive to the larger fish.You won'tknow unless you try.

3. dwooten77

dwooten77 Member

Congrats on the awesome trip. I had a day with a swim jig like that. Not quite 50, but lost count after 20 as well. I have to admit, I love a lipless crank but just can't seem to dial it in right. I'm getting better, I just don't think I'm giving it the time it deserves. The best luck I've had with them is in rivers. Is that where you were? Do you think the xcaliburs... excuse me, the boo yah one knockers are just as good as the originals?

4. tackle maniac

tackle maniac Member

No, I was actually on a small lake (700 acres). The lake has threadfin shad in it, which is what the bass I was catching were feeding on. I only have one booyah one-knocker, but it appears to be exactly the same as the xcalibur. The one thing that is different are the colors. The color I was using is called blue shiner, but the xcalibur blue shiner looks much better than the booyah blue shiner. Although, I think I could have caught just as many on the booyah version because they were in such a feeding frenzy.

One tip I can give you is to use a 1/4 oz bait if you are fishing in less than 6 feet. I actually started out throwing a 1/2 oz two tap red eye shad, but it was only 3-6 feet deep where I was fishing and it kept getting bogged down in grass before they could find it. When I switched to the 1/4 oz xcalibur, it was on. Also, if the water is somewhat clear (visibility of 2-3 feet or more), I seem to have better luck on the one-knocker style baits. I've always had better luck on a straight retrieve and just using my reel to speed it up a bit from time to time, rather than yo-yoing or jigging. Early spring/late winter (pre-spawn) and fall seem to be the best times to use lipless cranks.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  5. dwooten77

dwooten77 Member

Very helpful thank you. Not gonna lie, I've always been guilty of throwing the bigger lure first, then finessing my way down in size. I'll stick with it till I find my comfort zone. Just gotta get a couple in the boat.

6. tackle maniac

tackle maniac Member

Just a friendly reminder. It's time to break 'em out again. Caught a 6 pounder the other day on a 1/4 oz Rayburn Red One Knocker. Who says little baits can't catch big fish.

7. tackle maniac

tackle maniac Member

Hey guys, time to break em out again. I went today, 2/9, and caught 3 nice ones in the 3 to 4 pound range plus 4 other keepers. Yo-Zuri Rattl'n Vibe Lipless Crankbait, this was my weapon of choice today. I was using the 2.25" size in metallic bleeding shad. The lipless bite is on in my neck of the woods!